Summer Travel Tips for The Conscious Traveller
The summer holidays are here and it’s time to over pack our bags, don our tiniest swimwear and enjoy the sun.
Whether you are jetting off to adventures unknown or chillin’ round the pool, travelling on a vegan lifestyle can be a little tricky. There is a lot to think about that can cause those mini anxieties when we are prepping for a trip.
Will the airport, plane journey and my chosen destination offer a food option to suit my lifestyle?
Will I have to use plastic cutlery during my journey?
What if I don’t use all my personal hygiene products and have to throw them away to get all my souvenirs home?.....
and no matter how hard we try to be organised we will undoubtedly forget something. Don’t be caught short, here’s a few travel tips and essentials for the conscious traveller that we’ve put together to add to your preparation and packing list.
- Take snacks for the journey -Think dry snacks or items that are or can stay sealed, something that will not perish easily. Mints, vegan choccy bars, protein bars, biscuits and cookies. If you are travelling by plane don’t take dried fruits unless you can gobble them before you land – some destinations don’t allow the entry of dried fruits from other countries.
- Get your fluids – You can take your reusable bottles with you to the airport but drink up before customs and security or you won’t be able to take it with you. You can always refill it the other side and you then have a reusable option for days out at your destination.
- Lunch for the plane – Most airports do not allow non-perishable food items to be taken through customs but you can grab some quick eats from the airport lounge. Even when you ask for a vegan meal on your flight you may not like what they have to offer and there is nothing worse than being stuck on a long haul flight with a grumbly tummy. Many chains in airport lounges now have good vegan offerings.
- Don’t forget your supplements and/or medications - Vegans and health conscious individuals we know that a quality source of Vit B12 is essential and depending on your destination it may be difficult to get these if you forget them. Make them top of your personal care list along with any other important medications.
- Its hot, hot, hot – It’s essential to be well protected from those harmful UVA and UVB rays. Don’t forget to pack a good sunscreen that corresponds with the climate you are travelling to. Green People, Jason and Alba offer fabulous vegan sunscreens that are affordable.
- Don’t forget your mozzie defence - Garlic is a good option when travelling to hot destinations to ward off those dreaded mozzies, though you may also like a good deterrent in the form of a spray. Incognito offer a vegan friendly mosquito spray and various other hygiene products that are completely deet free.
- Iddy biddy travel bottles – So that you aren’t forced to waste plastic when it comes to leaving your destination it’s a good idea to take travel bottles full of your favourite self-care products. We love using silicone travel bottles as they can squish into the tiniest gap once emptied. Perfect for getting all your souvenirs home and not having to throw half used bottles of your favourite body wash!
- Pack your reusables – It's often the case that we are eating on the go when we travel. Most grab and go options offer plastic cutlery and as we know plastic waste is a huge problem for the world. Make sure you don’t pack a knife unless it’s in your stowed luggage. No Knives are allowed in carry on luggage on most airlines.
- Ladies – Don’t forget your reusable sanitary products, there is nothing worse than being caught short without those. Oh no, no, no, perish the thought!
- Rumbly tummy? - We love the HappyCow app, available on Android and iOS, for finding us vegans eats. It covers over 185 different countries and is super easy to use. Download to your phone before you leave to avoid any unnecessary data charges.
Love these ideas? We've got you covered. Check out our travel range here.